Full Name: Wang Jianlin
Date of Birth: 1954 in China
Place of Residence: Beijing
Net Worth: USD $ 22.6 billion
Source of Wealth: self-made, industry: real estate
Education: BA from Liaoning University
Career: Founder of Dalian Wanda Group
Political Position: Uncertain.
In His Own Words:
We have no political affiliations. (Forbes)
Amount of campaign financing is not known.
He served in the People’s Liberation Army for 16 years after which he took a job at the local Dalian government. He is a member of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), a political advisory body.
Lobbying & Advocacy:
The relatives and business partners of some of China’s most powerful politicians own significant stakes in his company. However, there is no evidence to show a relationship between this and the performance of the company, reports the New York Times.
Jianlin owns 12% of the world’s movie theatres and the Wanda Group is now the biggest operator of movie theatres in America. He declared, however, that he did not interfere with content and was only interested in the profit.
Jianlin’s lifetime contributions exceed 280 million USD, but has not created his own foundation. Jianlin is a generous supporter of philanthropy, especially of disaster relief, education and social causes. The following are examples of his contributions:
- $128 million to the Government of Dalian towards severe acute respiratory syndrome treatment and prevention
- $2.4 million to the China Red Ribbon Foundation
- $600,000 to the China Glory Society
- $1.8 to Dalian University
- $600,000 to establish a charitable foundation for migrant rural workers in China
- $896,000 to disaster relief efforts in the Liaoning Province
- $15 million to the Chengdu Charity Federation in Sichuan Province
- $12 million to the Dalian Charity Federation in Liaoning Province
- $150 million towards the restoration of the Grand Bao’en Temple in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province
- $30 million towards the construction of the Chengdu Seven Wanda School through the Dalian Wanda Group
- more than $1.3 million to public high schools in Kansas
- $20 million to the China Green Foundation.
Read about the Wanda Group’s philanthropic contributions here.
Jianlin spoke up against American plans to scrutinize Chinese investment in the US entertainment industry, urging Trump not to “fight over entertainment.” If the USA blocks Chinese capital, China can retaliate and that will not be good for either country he said. Read the article on the Asian Correspondent.